Monday, October 18, 2010

Babe

The billionth revival of my blog, and yes, it's another Mad Men post. I just want to say: the finale tonight was ah. may. zeeng. Smart, beautifully paced, and didn't leave me destructively sad. But best of all, it ended on easily one of the most endearing and wonderful songs ever written:


What I said to my step father, with whom I was watching this with, is this: I always love being surprised by Mad Men's soundtrack. This season, when both "Satisfaction" and "Do You Want to Know a Secret" played, I thought they were anomalies. You know, because I was alive and culturally aware in the 60's and I know these things. But when I begin to hear songs like that - modern songs that my parents grew up with - it turns this masterpiece of a show into the organic story that it is. It isn't stuck in one year, with one problem. It grows and evolves, and it acknowledges that there's a world outside itself that is changing with it. I thoroughly enjoy those delightful reminders. Because you think you know Don and the world of Sterling Cooper - this buttoned-up, slicked-hair utopia, filled with 1950s optimism - but then you see (nay, hear), what they're surrounded by. Young girls screaming at boybands. Stupid kids watching Bandstand. A hippie culture that's really just a pill all too easily swallowed.

No comments: